Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Steady, steady ...



The Idaho Falls on the Snake River
I had the opportunity to visit the Land of My Youth recently.  It was a fast and furious trip on a school bus.  The goal was to arrive in Idaho Falls, preview the state cross country race course, carbo load a bunch of teenagers, cheer them on as they ran 3.1 miles against the best runners in the state, then return home. 


LDS Temple on the far bank
Whenever I visit Eastern Idaho, I am reminded of my roots. I often want to stop the clock, use a Pause Button, if you will and simply reminisce. Life does not often afford that luxury, so I have learned to squeeze in what I can and daydream of more. On this occasion I managed a brief visit to the Snake River where it tumbles over the falls that the city is named after.  I listened to the roar of the water and gazed across at the LDS Temple on the far bank.  It is an icon that has been there as long as I can remember.  I felt a chill in the air as the wind hinted at a brewing storm. The river, the temple, and the wind all reminded me that even as things are ever changing, many things in life are steady and sure.  When I am buffeted by the winds of change, I try to hold fast to those things that are constant and true.  It seems to work for me.

What works for you?


No comments:

Post a Comment