Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Do I Have It?

I must have it. What I mean is, I think I have Writer's Block. Maybe not. It could just be arthritis. Either way, putting pen to paper, or rather fingers to keyboard, just hasn't been happening. It's not like I'm out of material, I just don't know where to start .., or go .., or end. It's much easier to fold a load of laundry or clean out a drawer. Those things can been "seen" and measured when completed. Today's written word can be erased with the slip of a pinky or the touch of a button. If I'm writing it on a computer, is it really happening? What if my printer is out of ink? If I send it can I ever take it back? If I hit post, will I change the world or just the world's perception of me?

Myabe I'll just fold the laundry ...

2 comments:

  1. You are a writer so write. I've learned that when I experience this I need to just write whatever comes out whether it makes sense or not. What appears as a garbage heap is actually a compost pile. Mostly my writing all seems like a pile to me, however, from this stinking heap there is always one or two salvageable gems. I've learned not to worry about it too much and that's what I teach my students as well. Writing is a process. Honor that process. Just to keep it in perspective: It has been said by highly respected research that reading without writing, is like eating without...you guessed it... voiding. I have some great books that are actually fun to read and re read about what writer's need to write. I'll try to remember to make a reading list and bring it home and post it on Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the counsel. I'll look forward to the list.

    P.S. I did manage to spew forth some ideas today.

    ReplyDelete