The treatment includes an anti-inflammatory drug, cold therapy (soak it in a bucket of icewater), taping for support, rest (he can begin resting as track season is over), and most recently, new shoes. For the first time in the history of Green Family Runners, we visited a bona fide running store. Amazing!
Here is what we learned:
- He over-pronates. This means he strikes the pavement with the outside of his foot and "snaps" it inward, thus straining supporting tendons. Hence, the foot injury.
- High definition video is awesome for diagnosing over-pronation!
- Shoes make a difference. In this case, stability shoes.
- Shoe shredding is a symptom of combined over-pronation and inferior shoes.
- All athletic shoe manufacturers price all performance shoes from $90 - $109!
- If the original price of a "running" shoe is under $90, expect shredding!
- Over $109? Too much shoe. You're gonna get ripped off!
- How much does it cost to find a good shoe? FREE!
Guess what else? I've told all my friends to go see "the guy at Pulse Running & Fitness" in Meridian. He took time to help us and didn't get the sale, but he will get more in the future. This guy knows how to pay it forward.
Happy running - or shredding! You pick!