Monday, November 7, 2011

Another Reason to Run



I intend to be an octogenarian. It isn't really a lofty goal. You see, I come from a long line of octogenarians. It's in my genes. I also have stroke, Type II Diabetes, and heart disease as hereditary risk factors. And so … I run.
They way I see it, if I am going to be eighty-something, or even ninety-something (let's stop there!) I would like to keep my faculties as long as I can. What good does it do to reach a goal if one can't enjoy it once she arrives? And so … I run.
I am running away from a stroke. Running lowers my blood pressure.
I am running away from diabetes. Running keeps my weight down, thus controlling my blood sugar.
I am running from heart disease. Lub dub, lub dub, lub dub.
Can I beat all the risk factors? Maybe not, but I figure my odds are better if I try to outrun them than if I open the door and invite them in!
And so … I run!

No comments:

Post a Comment